How can acupuncture support fertility? It’s a popular question! Or what is fertility acupuncture?
Fertility and Acupuncture
There are a lot of studies, which show encouraging results for acupuncture and its role in fertility support and research suggests that acupuncture may help women and couples in several ways when planning a baby.
Here’s the list …
• Irregular cycles.
• Boosting blood flow to the reproductive organs, including ovaries and uterus.
• Increasing womb lining thickness by maximising blood flow to the uterus.
• Helping trigger ovulation in some women with ovulation issues.
• Reducing stress by activating the relaxed state. And stress is a big issue for many women and couples planning a baby, especially if there have been struggles on their journey.
• Helping women with PCOS, endometriosis, period pain, pelvic inflammation.
• Improving sperm count and also sperm motility or swimming ability.
Acupuncture is a popular treatment choice for fertility support (Smith 2010).
How Many Fertility Acupuncture Treatments Will I Need?
How many sessions? That’s a tough question, but here’s the low down.
The number of treatments depends on individual needs, current health, health and life goals, and how people respond to treatment, therefore its very difficult to predict the number of session you’ll need.
However, most people experience some positive results in just 1 or 2 treatments and I recommend weekly treatment in the beginning.
At Life and Cycles, we work with our fertility clients on a basic 6 week programme. Of course, it takes about 3 months for a sperm and egg to mature, so we highly recommend working with us for at least 3 months. In some cases, change can take longer.
The 6 week programme includes :-
- 1 comprehensive case questionnaire.
- 1 x 90 minute private fertility acupuncture session with Rebecca.
- 6 x follow up fertility acupuncture appointments in a multi-bed acupuncture clinic (see below).
- 1 x 60 minute preconception care appointment with Kathy (based on the Foresight Preconception Care method- many of the worlds natural fertility experts were also trained by Foresight).
- 1 x 60 minute follow up preconception care appointment with Kathy.
- Reasonable support in between appointments as necessary.
- Handouts and other guidance.
We can add on other therapies, such as hair mineral testing and a special package for male partners and much more. Just get in touch for more details.
What is Multi-Bed Acupuncture?
My acupuncture team and I specialise in fertility acupuncture and pregnancy and about 75% of our clients attend for fertility related support. We see men and women with unexplained infertility, for IVF Support, Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), re-occurring miscarriages, low sperm count, emotional stress and other issues.
In the Norwich multi-bed clinic, we work with several patients at the same time in the same calm, light and airy room. Acupuncturists in China work this way all the time.
Acupuncture needles take 20-45 minutes to do their work. So an acupuncturist can properly treat a person, leave them to relax while the next person is being treated. As more than one person is treated within an hour, costs to the patient are reduced. The atmosphere is a really positive, community spirit.
We maintain your physical privacy at all times.
How much will it cost?
Working together with Kathy in 6 week blocks, we charge £375 for ALL of the sessions in the 6 weeks (see above), guidance materials, reasonable support between sessions and any homeopathic pills from Kathy.
We know that some people will think that’s a lot of money.
In our experience, many of our clients are prepared to make other sacrifices to invest in their health and fertility. Of course, it’s possible that preconception care might save some people from expensive fertility treatments later. We have worked with women and couples to reach their goals, when conventional treatments didn’t work for them.
Find Out More
We love to hear from you, so if you want to know more about how we can help you, please drop us a line or phone us at the Life and Cycles office. It’s at Treat Norwich on 01603 514195.